Menu

Main Content

Salvator Fink, OFM

Salvator Fink

1916 – 1991

Fr. Salvator Fink, OFM, was born in Buffalo, N.Y., on June 6, 1916. He was received into the Province’s novitiate Aug. 12, 1938, and professed temporary vows Aug. 14, 1939. Fr. Salvator made his profession of solemn vows Sept. 17, 1942, and was ordained a priest June 11, 1944.

After ordination, he was assigned to St. Francis of Assisi Church in New York City, where he developed a very effective youth ministry. He worked with the students of St. Francis Prep in Brooklyn, the Franciscan Brothers of Brooklyn and the Young Christian Workers.

In 1952, Fr. Salvator became the vocation promoter for Holy Name Province, and his enthusiasm for his work moved many young men to consider a vocation with the Order. In 1967, he became director of Christ House in Lafayette, N.J., and coordinated various renewal programs for the post-Vatican II Church.

Upon the death of Fr. John Loviner, OFM, in 1970, Fr. Salvator was named director of St. Anthony’s Guild. For 18 years, he worked tirelessly to foster the devotion of the Guild members to St. Anthony, to establish Anthony Houses for the poor and to raise funds for the programs of Holy Name Province.

Fr. Salvator, a very talented photographer, spent his final years gathering materials for a pictorial history of the Province. He was a great storyteller, a friar of prayer and integrity and a wonderful human being. He was universally known among the friars as “Doc.”

He died in New York City on July 26, 1991. Fr. Salvator was 75 years old, a professed friar for almost 52 years and a priest for 47 years.