Philip Kennedy, OFM
1909 – 1966
Fr. Philip Kennedy, OFM, was born Nov. 19, 1909 in Orange, N.J. After graduating from high school, he entered St. Joseph’s Seraphic Seminary in Callicoon, N.Y. He was received into the novitiate at St. Bonaventure Friary, Paterson, N.J., in 1933, professing temporary vows one year later. Fr. Philip made his solemn profession in 1937 and was ordained in 1941.
As a proto-missionary, Fr. Philip went to Brazil, where he became pastor and superior of the Province’s parish in Pirenopolis. After seven years of service, Fr. Philip returned to minister in Lenoir, N.C., and Americus, Ga. After two years as a pastoral assistant at St. Anne’s Parish in Fair Lawn, N.J., he was assigned to St. Bonaventure Friary in Paterson.
He died on Jan. 14, 1966 in Margate, N.J. Fr. Philip was 56 years old, a professed friar for 31 years and a priest for 24 years.