Menu

Main Content

Gervase F. White, OFM

Gervase F. White

1925 – 2002

Fr. Gervase White, OFM, was born on Aug. 13, 1925 in Jessup, Pa., and baptized Francis. After serving in the Navy from 1943 to 1946, he enrolled in St. Joseph’s Seraphic Seminary in Callicoon, N.Y. He was received into the Order as Gervase in 1948 at the novitiate at St. Bonaventure Friary, Paterson, N.J., professing temporary vows one year later. He made his solemn profession in 1952 and was ordained in 1954.

He was assigned to teach at St. Bonaventure University, Allegany, N.Y., in 1955, where he remained for 47 years. Fr. Gervase served as prefect in the residence halls until 1965. He became director of the Third Order of St. Francis, assisted the university chaplain and was priest-counselor-in-residence for two years. He also served as dean of students from 1967 to 1970. Fr. Gervase then became procurator of the friary, where he worked for three years, doubling as part-time campus minister. In 1973, he became vicar of the local community, where he served until 1983. Fr. Gervase was then guardian and director of the Provincial infirmary from 1983 to 1993. He returned to teaching in 1994 and continued to do so until 2001.

He died on Jan. 7, 2002 at Olean, N.Y., General Hospital. Fr. Gervase was 76 years old, a professed friar for 52 years and a priest for 47 years.