Gerald F. Carr, OFM
1928 – 2003
Fr. Gerald Carr, OFM, was born Oct. 10, 1928 in Brooklyn, N.Y., and baptized Gerald Francis. He was received into the novitiate at St. Bonaventure Friary, Paterson, N.J., in 1951, professing temporary vows one year later. He made his solemn profession in 1955 and was ordained in 1956.
His first assignment was as associate at St. Anthony Shrine, where he served for one year before moving to St. Leo’s Parish, Elmwood Park, N.J., to serve as parochial vicar until 1960. Fr. Gerald then taught at Bishop Timon High School in Buffalo, N.Y., until 1977. He became part of the formation team at St. Anne’s Parish, Fair Lawn, N.J., and one year later, was appointed assistant director of formation at Holy Cross Parish in the Bronx, N.Y., where he served until 1982.
Fr. Gerald returned to St. Leo’s Parish for one year before becoming parochial vicar at Holy Cross Parish for two years. He served as guardian and pastor of St. Leo’s Parish in Elmwood Park, N.J., from 1985 to 1989. In 1989, he served as parochial vicar and director of the Center for Hispanic Ministry at St. Francis of Assisi Church. In 2002, he transferred to Holy Name Friary, Ringwood, N.J.
He died there on Jan. 12, 2003. Fr. Gerald was 74 years old, a professed friar for 50 years and a priest for 46 years.