This Month in Provincial History

Maria Hayes Features

Notable events for the month of October include:

One Year Ago
Oct. 4, 2017 – Holy Name Province launched a special relief fund for victims of Hurricanes Irma and María in Puerto Rico. The friars and their partners-in-ministry raised more than $220,000 in one month.

Five Years Ago
Oct. 2-3, 2013 – Roberto González, OFM, was honored for his 25th anniversary as bishop. He was ordained auxiliary of Boston in 1988 before being appointed coadjutor bishop of Corpus Christi, Texas, in 1995, succeeding as ordinary in 1997. Two years later, he was named archbishop of San Juan, Puerto Rico.

15 Years Ago
Oct. 4, 2003 – The wellness center was dedicated at St. Anthony Shrine in Boston. The center’s purpose is to “look after the ordinary health needs of those who easily fall between the cracks of today’s medical profession,” according to The Provincial Annals. “It is strictly a walk-in arrangement and has become quite popular with the elderly, undocumented visitors to our country as well as the Shrine’s ordinary clientele. Alan Thomas, OFM, supervises the operation in collaboration with a number of other nurses. Our old priest’s confessional has been refurbished and is now a prayer chapel for the sick. Richard Flaherty, OFM, is available there for counsel, comfort and support.”

Oct. 16-21, 2003 – In his capacity as president of the Bishops’ Conference of Puerto Rico, Archbishop Roberto González, OFM, participated in ceremonies marking the 25th anniversary of John Paul II as pontiff.

20 Years Ago
Oct. 4, 1998 – St. Patrick’s Parish in Buffalo, N.Y., celebrated the 140th anniversary of the friars’ presence in the Hydraulics neighborhood. When the first friars arrived in 1858, the majority of the parishioners were Irish immigrant laborers who settled in the area after the Erie Canal was completed.

Oct. 4, 1998 – The renovated youth and counseling centers were dedicated at St. Mary’s Church in Pompton Lakes, N.J.

Oct. 4, 1998 – St. Patrick-St. Anthony Parish in Hartford, Conn., broke ground on the expansion of the Franciscan Center. In fall 2015, the parish commemorated the 25th anniversary of the friars’ arrival.

25 Years Ago
Oct. 3, 1993 – Ceremonies on St. Simon’s Island, Georgia, marked the conclusion of the diocesan process for the beatification of the martyrs and Servants of God, Pedro de Corpa and his companions. It was on that island that Francisco de Berascola, the last of the martyrs, died on Sept. 18, 1597.

Oct. 10, 1993 – Holy Name of Jesus Parish in New York City celebrated is 125th anniversary. In autumn 2015, the parish – located on the Upper West Side, marked the 25th anniversary of the friars’ presence.

Oct. 22, 1993 – More than 200 people filled the pews of St. George’s Church in Jeffersonville, N.Y., for a Mass to mark the church’s 150th anniversary. At the time, it was the oldest house of worship in Sullivan County. The parish was founded in 1843 with 30 German immigrants making up the congregation. The Franciscan Order began ministering to the parish and other Sullivan County communities in 1892.

Oct. 25-28, 1993 – Numerous events celebrating the 25th anniversary of the Washington Theological Union were held in Silver Spring, Md.

Maria Hayes is communications coordinator for Holy Name Province.

Related Links