Notable events that took place around the Province during past Octobers include celebrations of ministry anniversaries. Below is a recap of some notable events.
One Year Ago
Oct. 5, 2014 — St. Joseph Parish, “the warm and welcoming church on French Street” in Wilmington, Del., marked its 125th anniversary with a festive liturgy celebrated by Bishop W. Francis Malooly and a luncheon attended by more than 200 people. (St. Joseph’s was founded as a parish for African-American Catholics by the Josephite Fathers. Holy Name Province began staffing the parish in 1993.)
Oct. 17, 2014 — St. Anthony of Padua Parish in Greenville, S.C., marked its 75th anniversary with a joyful liturgy, a banquet, and an evening of food, music and dancing. (St. Anthony Parish was founded as a parish for African-American Catholics by Joseph Michael McGrath, OFM, in 1939.)
Five Years Ago
Oct. 9, 2010 — More than 350 people joined the St. Patrick-St. Anthony Parish community in celebrating the 20th anniversary of the friars’ presence in Hartford, Conn., and the 10th anniversary since the laying of the cornerstone of the Franciscan Center for Urban Ministry.
Oct. 14, 2010 — In honor of his 60th birthday, St. Mary’s Parish in Pompton Lakes, N.J., named the hall in the Michael J. Carnevale Center after Kevin Downey, OFM. “The spirit and teachings of St. Francis have always been at the core desire of Fr. Kevin’s desire to help us grow spiritually and to become the parish we are so proud of — a parish that constantly looks for ways to be of service to others in their need,” according to an announcement in the parish bulletin.
Oct. 23, 2010 — The Franciscan Mission Service marked 20 years of international lay mission. During the celebration, FMS board member George Corrigan, OFM, was honored with the Joe Nangle, OFM, Lifelong Mission Award for his service as a lay missioner in Kenya from 1996 to 1999. The award is named for Joe, who served as FMS executive director and co-director for 12 years.
10 Years Ago
Oct. 2, 2005 — St. Anthony of Padua Parish in Camden, N.J, marked the 20th anniversary of the arrival of the friars with social and fundraising activities and three liturgies. The parish was founded by the Diocese of Camden in 1945, with Holy Name Province assuming care of the parish in 1985. The first friars to serve there were John Anglin, OFM, Aubrey McNeil, OFM, and Thaddeus Sapio, OFM.
30 Years Ago
Oct. 20, 1985 — The new Catholic Center at Georgia Tech University was dedicated in Atlanta. Mario Di Lella, OFM, led fundraising efforts for the building, which included a sanctuary that seated 300 people, conference and recreation rooms, living quarters, and a kitchen. The $1 million center was one of four projects funded by the Archdiocese of Atlanta’s three-year Capital Funds Drive.
40 Years Ago
Oct. 1, 1975 — Provincial Minister Finian Kerwin, OFM, dedicated St. Anthony’s Friary, the Province’s house of retirement in St. Petersburg, Fla. (In 2013, a new chapel was dedicated at the friary.)
— Compiled by Maria Hayes
- “Georgia Parish Welcomes Franciscans” — Sept. 30, 2015, HNP Today
- “Mario Di Lella Retires from Georgia Tech Campus Ministry” — April 23, 2008, HNP Today
- “Franciscan Mission Service Celebrates 25 Years of Lay Ministry” — May 13, 2015, HNP Today
- “All Invited to Mt. Irenaeus’s 30th Anniversary Celebrations” — Sept. 17, 2015, HNP Today