Menu

Main Content

This Month in Provincial History

Notable events for the month of July include:

One Year Ago
July 2017 – The HNP Communications Office published a summary of the results of a survey taken earlier in the year of readers of the HNP Today newsletter. The article reported that though subscribers, on the whole, felt satisfied with the balance of news in the e-publication, some recommended changes including more coverage of Provincial Administration updates, more features about individual friars and more vocation stories.

Five Years Ago
July 26, 2013 – Siena College opened the Trustco Bank Center, a facility housing the college’s finance, business affairs and human resources offices, as well as the Capital District’s Reserve Officer Training Corps. The environmentally-friendly building provided the school with new work and meeting areas, and allowed the college to develop additional space for student services and academic initiatives.

10 Years Ago
July 1, 2008 – Care of Our Lady of the Holy Angels Parish in Little Falls, N.J., was returned to the Diocese of Paterson, N.J. Franciscan friars established the parish in 1883, prior to the founding of Holy Name Province in 1901. The first church was dedicated on June 29, 1884.

July 4, 2008 – St. Bonaventure Parish in Paterson, commemorated its 130th anniversary with a solemn Mass of thanksgiving celebrated by Bishop Arthur Seratelli. During his homily, he spoke of the parish’s historic importance and how, at the time of its founding, Catholics were marginalized. The parish will be commemorating its 140th anniversary on July 15, the feast of St. Bonaventure.

July 23, 2008 – Friars and laypeople from around the Province attended the first “Convention for the Common Good,” an event that brought 800 delegates from more than 20 organizations together to urge presidential candidates and elected officials to put the common good before partisan agendas.

July 27, 2008 – St. Francis of Assisi Parish on Long Beach Island, N.J., marked the 80th anniversary of the arrival of Franciscans at the parish with its annual Festival by the Sea. The parish counted 2,800 families as members and, during the summer months, offered 19 Masses weekly at the four churches on the island. The friars began ministering on Long Beach Island on June 7, 1928.

30 Years Ago
July 6, 1988 – Capistran Heim, OFM, was named bishop of the newly created Prelacy of Itaituba, Brazil. He served for 22 years, retiring in 2010.

July 19, 1988 – Roberto González, OFM, was appointed auxiliary bishop of Boston. At 38 years old, he was the nation’s youngest Catholic bishop and the 20th Hispanic to enter the episcopacy. In 1995, he was appointed coadjutor bishop of Corpus Christi, Texas, and became bishop of the diocese in 1997. Two years later, he was appointed archbishop of San Juan, Puerto Rico, a role in which he continues to serve today.

Maria Hayes is communications coordinator for Holy Name Province.

Related Links