NEW YORK — Some notable Holy Name events that took place in past Junes are listed below.
One Year Ago
June 2008 — Holy Name Province approved a strategic plan and vision statement at its 2008 Chapter at St. Bonaventure University, Allegany, N.Y. [The five-year plan will conclude in 2013.]
June 13, 2008 — Jeffery Jordan, OFM, was received into the Franciscan Order as a novice in an evening prayer service at St. Paul’s Friary in Wilmington, Del. [Jeffery will profess his first vows June 6 at St. Paul’s.]
June 29, 2008 — Parishioners of Holy Cross Church in the Bronx gathered for a farewell Mass and reception, saying goodbye to the HNP Franciscans as they turned the parish over to the Archdiocese of New York. Then pastor Todd Carpenter, OFM, awarded four people the Province’s Francis Medal at the event. [Later this month, Holy Cross will rename a street “Franciscan Way” in honor of the friars’ service.]
20 Years Ago
June 14, 1989 — The first Chapter of Mats of Holy Name Province, attended by nearly 400 friars, began on this day at Siena College in Loudonville, N.Y. The chapter concluded on June 17. Shown in the photo, right, is a fish-eye view of 250 of the Chapter’s attendees on the steps of Siena Hall. [The next chapter will be held in 2011.]
25 Years Ago
June 1984 — St. Francis Residence II, the second residence for St. Francis Friends of the Poor, opened in New York City. John Felice, OFM, John McVean, OFM, and Thomas Walters, OFM, created SFFP in the summer of 1980 to save deinstitutionalized mental patients from being forced to rely on state hospitals or live on the streets. [SFFP Residence II will celebrate its 25th anniversary on June 24, 2009.]
45 Years Ago
June 14, 1964 — Approximately 250 friars, tertiaries and friends joined with Stephen Hartdegen, OFM, to celebrate the dedication and opening of the new Villa Cortona in Bethesda, Md. The apostolic center for lay people was inspired by Stephen. [The center was later sold to the Legionnaires of Christ, who renamed it Our Lady of Bethesda Retreat Center. It currently hosts spiritual exercise retreats for men and women, as well as marriage preparation weekends.]
June 22, 1964 — Two weeks after final exams, 22 first-year philosophers and 10 tertiary brothers headed to Callicoon, N.Y., to help Salvator Fink, OFM, conduct the first of a series of three vocational retreats for boys between seventh and 10th grade. The weeklong retreats included time for fun, prayer and silence.
50 Years Ago
June 13, 1959 — Celsus Wheeler, OFM, Provincial Minister, dedicated St. Bonaventure University’s latest addition, Plassmann Hall, named after Thomas Plassmann, OFM, who served as the university’s president for a record 29 years. The three-floor building, which most SBU students step foot in on a daily basis, was designed by Cajetan Baumann, OFM.
125 Years Ago
June 29, 1884 — Bishop Winland Wigger of Newark, in his dedication sermon for Our Lady of the Holy Angels Parishin Little Falls, N.J., praised the people for their generosity that brought the new church to completion. He also praised Francis Koch, OFM, who made countless horse-and-buggy trips from Paterson to the Singac section of Little Falls through winter snows and spring rains to check the builders’ progress. [The Province turned over care of Holy Angels Parish to the Paterson Diocese in June 2008.]
— Compiled by Rebecca Doel