NEW YORK — The magazine of St. Anthony’s Guild was recognized last month at the annual conference of the Catholic Press Association, which gave The Anthonian three awards.
At the Catholic Media Convention in Toronto, May 25 to 27 at the Sheraton Toronto Centre, The Anthonian received awards for:
• Best Feature Article — Religious Order Magazines, First Place
“A Friar’s Dream Come True” by Octavio Duran, OFM, in the December 2007 issue
Judges said: “This article demonstrates good storytelling techniques. The writing is solid from start to finish. This article is well written and well reported. The lead and opening quote really pull the reader in, along with the writer’s use of description. The writing really flows. The writer makes good use of statistical detail to support the story, but doesn’t let the number bog down the story.”
• Best Essay — Religious Order Magazines; Third Place
“Sheltering the Homeless” by Todd Carpenter, OFM, which appeared in the June 2007 issue
Judges said, “Good use of research, quotes and descriptions of the shelter and its patrons.”
• General Excellence — Religious Order Magazines; Second Place
Judges said: “The stories are well-researched and told in a compelling manner. The photographs are beautiful and they often tell their own story. Photo spreads are well done and the design is consistently well executed.
“I am very proud of the staff of The Anthonian,” said publisher John Piccione, OFM, director of St. Anthony’s Guild. “They do a marvelous job of helping our readers share in the life and ministry of the friars.”
Managing editor Jocelyn Thomas agreed. “I am pleased that the work that goes into the research, writing and editing of The Anthonian is recognized. For decades, this small magazine has done a huge service by telling readers about the many ministries in which the friars serve.”
Recent issues of The Anthonian can be found online. The current Summer 2008 issue includes:
• An article by Walter Liss, OFM, about places where people can volunteer their time and talent. The ministries are up and down the East Coast.
• An article about the ministry of Francis Kim, OFM, in North Korea by Octavio Duran, OFM, who visited Francis last winter and witnessed the challenging work he does.
• A Franciscan Journey essay by Robert Struzynski, OFM.
• A Friar’s Corner piece by Joseph Nangle, OFM, titled “A Franciscan Washington Presence”