The school year has ended at Holy Name College, and the students are ready for their summer assignments.
Lawrence Anderson, Frederick Dilger and Victor Gazall will leave for Cochabamba, Bolivia, on June 6. There they will study Spanish and have classes on Bolivian culture. Thomas Kornacki and Ignacio Harding will also give them classes on the missionary vocation, on the OFM as a global Order, and on the Franciscan presence in Bolivia.
The other simply professed friars’ summer assignments are as follows:
- Hugh Macsherry – St. Patrick-St. Anthony Church, Hartford, Conn.
- Stephen Mimnaugh – Sacred Heart Church, Tampa, Fla.
- Harry Monaco – Mt. Irenaeus, West Clarksville, N.Y.
- Patrick Rohan – St. Anthony Shrine, Boston, Mass.
- Juan de la Cruz Turcios – St. Anthony Church, Butler, N.J.
Five simply professed friars will begin a year-long pastoral internship this summer:
- Julian Jagudilla – Sacred Heart Church, Tampa, Fla.
- Paul Keenan – St. Francis Church, West 31st Street, New York, N.Y.
- Walter Liss – Siena College, Loudonville, N.Y.
- David Phan – St. Francis Church, Beach Haven, N.J.
- Christopher VanHaight – St. Anthony Shrine, Boston, Mass.
Julian, Paul, Walter and Chris will also take classes at the Franciscan Institute at St. Bonaventure University during the month of July. Recent documents of the Order have been placing greater emphasis on providing a Franciscan component to studies during initial formation. For many years now, the novices have been taking introductory courses on the life and writings of Francis and Franciscan history during the summer at the Institute. The formation directorate recently made a decision to strengthen this component by having the friars in formation spend an additional summer at the Institute at the beginning of their internship year, taking more advanced elective courses in Franciscan spirituality and theology.
The Holy Name College community is looking forward to welcoming the novices, after they have made their simple vows. The novices will make their simple vows at 11 a.m. on June 3 at St. Paul’s Church in Wilmington, Del. Their summer assignments are:
- Cidouane Joseph – Holy Name College to study English
- Erick López – Holy Name College to study Philosophy
- Paul O’Keeffe – St. Anthony Shrine, Boston, Mass.
The Holy Name College community is also looking forward to the return of George Corrigan, Gonzalo de Jesús Torres and Zachary Elliott. They will join Emerson Rodríguez at Holy Name College, after the four make their solemn vow retreat in July in St. Louis, Mo. Solemn profession of vows is scheduled for noon on Sept. 9 at St. Francis Church on West 31st Street in New York City. The four will resume studies after making their solemn vows.