SILVER SPRING, Md. — From New York City to Florida — that is where seven of the Province’s student friars will be stationed this summer.
Joseph Nangle, OFM, director of post-novitiate formation, announced the following assignments:
- John Aherne, OFM, will serve at Sacred Heart Parish, Tampa, Fla.
- Dennis Bennett, OFM, will be in Guatemala and Nicaragua for language study.
- George Camacho, OFM, will be working at St. Francis Parish on West 31st Street in New York City.
- Casey Cole, OFM, will be ministering at St. Anthony of Padua Parish, Camden, N.J.
- Edgardo Jara, OFM, will return from California, where he has been studying at the Franciscan School of Theology in Berkeley, to serve at Immaculate Conception Parish in Durham, N.C.
- Gerald Hopeck, OFM, will begin a yearlong internship at St. Joseph Parish, Anderson, S.C.
- Ramoncito Razon, OFM, will remain at Holy Name College for ongoing studies in pastoral counseling.
The friars begin these assignments either just before or after the Province’s June 1 to 6 chapter.
Joseph Nangle, guardian of Holy Name College, said he is pleased with each assignment. “Every one of the simply professed friars chose a summer ministry which would stretch him pastorally and give him a different experience,” he said.
Last week, two ceremonies were held at Holy Name College.
On May 6, at Evening Prayer, George was installed in the Ministry of Acolyte, and John and Jeffrey Upshaw, OFM, were installed in the Ministry of Reader. Provincial Vicar Dominic Monti, OFM, the Province’s secretary for formation, presided at the installation.
On May 7, seven simply professed friars renewed their simple vows at Holy Name College. “Again, Dominic received the renewal of vows,” said Anthony LoGalbo, OFM, the Province’s assistant director of post-novitiate formation.
— Compiled by Jocelyn Thomas. Postulant Christian Seno provided the above images.