ST. LOUIS, MO. — The Order’s General Vicar, Fr. Michael Perry, OFM, is in Chicago recovering from a Dec. 17 knee operation. This and other news was reported in recent publications of Sacred Heart Province, of which Fr. Michael is a member.
The former Sacred Heart provincial minister has “got a number of weeks of physical therapy ahead of him, but otherwise he is doing better than anyone expected,” according to an update from Provincial Minister Fr. William Spencer, OFM, who added, “as one might suspect, a ‘little thing’ like knee surgery wasn’t going to keep Mike in bed for very long. He brought work with him from the General Curia, and he intends to use this time to develop a greater facility with Italian.”
The December e-newsletters of Sacred Heart Province also reported on:
• Developments in the mission at the Democratic Republic of the Congo. Reports from Fr. Jeff Haler, OFM, appear in the Dec. 17 and Dec. 24 issues ofAround the Province.
• Presentations by Fr. Michael Cusato, OFM, director of the Franciscan Institute at St. Bonaventure University on Nov. 21 in Australia and Nov. 30 in France.
• Funeral services for Fr. Linus Scepurek, OFM (1919-2009)
• A message from the province’s JPIC animator, Fr. Pio Jackson, OFM, who wrote a piece titled “Sacred Hearts of JPIC: The Vineyard of the Gift of the Gospel.” His detailed e-mail offers news and observations about the province’s justice, peace and integrity of creation ministry.
• Reflections on Christmas from Fr. William, who noted that though Advent is a busy season, it is important to “pay attention to what we’re doing to help ourselves and others make the act of faith that is Christmas. The decorations that adorn our friaries should become a reminder that the way we live our lives is meant to brighten and beautify our homes, as well.”
The most recent issue of Around the Province included prayers for the New Year from 11 Sacred Heart friars and a list of 2010 jubilarians.