ST. LOUIS, MO. — Provincial Minister Fr. William Spencer, OFM, announced last month an editorial change at his province’s Around the Province newsletter. After eight years, Fr. Benet Fonck, OFM, was stepping down as editor of Sacred Heart Province’s weekly publication. Beginning with the Oct. 11 issue, the newsletter is being produced by Fr. Thom Smith, OFM, and Fr. Pepe Martinez, OFM.
“Benet has brought us together around the written word,” Fr. William said in the Oct. 4 issue of Around the Province. “Thank you for your faithfulness in fulfilling that responsibility, Benet. We’re grateful for all of your hard work on our behalf.”
In an article titled “The Provincial Minster Writes,” Fr. William said that in the past, changes in the editors of ATP occurred more frequently. He described editor replacements in the late 1950s as happening after two years. Fr. Benet, who is beginning a sabbatical, published the first issue of Around the Province on June 24, 2004.
With its Oct. 16 issue, the Midwest province’s newsletter launched a new look. In that issue, the editors shared several updates, including a temporary email address to use for submitting news and emphasized a deadline of midnight Sunday for news.
Other news published in Sacred Heart’s recent newsletters include:
• A St. Francis Day greeting from provincial vicar Fr. Michael Jennrich, OFM, in the Oct. 4 newsletter
• The Sept. 29 solemn profession of Br. Dat Hoang, OFM
• A series titled “This Week in SHP History”
• Meeting of the Leadership conference of Sacred Heart Province, Oct. 22 to 25
• Descriptions of novice Br. Ed Tverdek, OFM, and postulant Jonathan Piette, from the Oct. 23 ATP issue
• Guardians meeting on Oct. 22 in St. Louis from thevNov. 6 issue of Around the Province
• A list of birthdays
— Compiled by Jocelyn Thomas, director of communications for Holy Name Province, who has worked with Fr. Benet since 2010 to lead the English-speaking Conference Communications Committee. A photo of the committee, taken in Malibu, Calif, in 2009, is included above.