This Month in Provincial History

Rebecca Doel Around the Province

NEW YORK — Some notable October events that have taken place around Holy Name Province:

One Year Ago
Oct. 15, 2008 — St. Anthony Shrine in Boston opened the Franciscan Food Center and Baby Place to help meet the needs of the hungry and parents of young children and those affected by the poor economy. The center utilizes a concept called client-choice that enables guests to choose their own food from stocked shelves.

Oct. 17, 2008 — Kevin Mackin, OFM, was inaugurated the first Franciscan president of Mount Saint Mary College in Newburgh, N.Y. He had previously served as president of Siena College in Loudonville, N.Y., for 11 years.

10 Years Ago
Oct. 12, 1999 — Under the aegis of Brian Jordan, OFM, The Border, an immigration assistance center at St. Francis of Assisi Church in New York City, opened its doors. Today, the parish continues to minister to immigrants through its St. Francis Immigration Center, directed by Maria Clara Delgado.

40 Years Ago
Oct. 19, 1969 — A fire at St. Joseph’s Seraphic Seminary, Callicoon, N.Y., caused more than $51,000 worth of damage to the second floor freshman dormitory in Scotus Hall. Students who suffered the most severe clothing loss were taken to a department store to obtain necessary clothing. Investigations were unable to pinpoint a specific cause for the fire. (A photograph from the Provincial Annals, right, shows fire damage.)

100 Years Ago
Oct. 13, 1909 — St. Francis of Assisi Church in Youngsville, N.Y., founded by Holy Name Province friars, was dedicated. Beginning with Dominic Sonnabend, OFM, and ending with Paul Osborne, OFM, the friars served the parish community for 95 years. The Archdiocese of New York assumed administration in 2003. Last month, Provincial Minister John O’Connor, OFM, and Archbishop Timothy Dolan, along with friars and parishioners, celebrated the church’s 100th anniversary (see “Friars Mark Centennial of Upstate New York Church”).

— Compiled by Rebecca Doel