NEW YORK — As winter nears, Franciscans are paying attention to efficient use of energy. Several OFM provinces wrote about care for the climate in their recent newsletters.
The Assumption BVM Province of Franklin, Wis. offered tips in its Nov. 15, Provincial Newsletter.
Below are some actions that can be taken as a response to the challenges faced because of climate change.
- promote clean energy legislation
- replace incandescent bulbs with compact fluorescent bulbs
- purchase “green” products
- unplug cell phone chargers when not in use
- reduce personal use of hot water, electricity and heat
- use public transportation whenever possible
The newsletter of the Province of Our Lady of Guadalupe in Albuquerque, N.M. also recently offered some suggestions.
The Nov. 5 issue of Padres Trail said, “It may not have been easy for Kermit the Frog to be green, but there are easy ways for us to live a greener life. With winter approaching, there are some simple ways to winterize our friaries to reduce fuel consumption and thus lessen our carbon footprint.”
The publication said, “Weather-stripping doors and placing heavy-gauge clear plastic on north-facing windows can greatly reduce heating costs and consumption. Keep the thermostat set at 68 degrees and wear a sweater.”