The friars of Holy Name Province extend their sympathy to the families of friars and friends who recently died. They include a former friar, relatives of two friars and a member of a Franciscan community in the nation’s capital.
Vincent Chinetsky, brother of the late Romuald Chinetsky, OFM, died on Feb. 2.
Sr. Dianna Ortiz, OSU, 62, deputy director of Pax Christi USA, died on Feb. 19 in Washington, D.C., where she had lived with Franciscans at Assisi Community for 25 years. Joseph Nangle, OFM, a Pax Christi USA Ambassador for Peace, and also a member of the Assisi Community wrote several reflections about the nun who had survived torture in Guatemala in the late 1980s. The first, “Falling into the Arms of a Loving God: Remembering the Last Days of Dianna Ortiz, OSU,” was published several hours after Ortiz died.
Frank Schlesinger, 95, the architect who designed Holy Name College in Silver Spring, Maryland, died on March 4.
Frances Reamer, 102, mother of Mark Reamer, OFM, of Loudonville, New York, died on March 7 in Pompton Plains, New Jersey. She and her husband were affiliated to Holy Name Province, Order of Friars Minor, in 1991. A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated on March 13 at St. Anthony of Padua Church in Butler, New Jersey.
Former friar Daniel O’Rourke died on March 15 at the Chautauqua Nursing and Rehabilitation Center in Dunkirk, New York.
Editor’s note: Contact information for survivors of the deceased, for sending condolences, can be obtained by calling the Provincial Office at 646-473-0265.
– Compiled by Jocelyn Thomas
- “Province Extends Sympathy to Families of Deceased” — Feb. 17, 2021, HNP Today
- “Dianna Ortiz, American Nun Tortured in Guatemala, Dies at 62” – Feb. 20, 2021, The New York Times
- “Retiree Romuald Chinetsky Finally Lets Others Do the Cooking and Cleaning and Greeting” – July 2018, HNP Today
- “Mark Reamer Commemorates 25 Years as a Friar” – Feb. 9, 2011, HNP Today
- “Assisi Community Celebrates 25 Years” — Dec. 7, 2011, HNP Today