The friars of Holy Name Province extend their sympathy to the families of friars and friends who recently died.
Raymond Dee, 78, former chair of the St. Bonaventure University Board of Trustees, died on Jan. 26 in Sag Harbor, New York. A funeral Mass was celebrated on Feb. 1 by Dan Riley, OFM, a member of the St. Bonaventure class of 1964 of which Ray was a member. Dee and his wife Maureen had been generous supporters of the University, Mt. Irenaeus, Holy Name Province and the Franciscan Order. “Ray was always full of questions about our Franciscan heritage and made several trips to Assisi,” said Dan in a St. Bonaventure press release. “He felt the university had something important to bring to the world,” wrote Dan.
Br. Patrick Nicholas Morris, CFC, 81, brother of the late Patrick Morris, OFM, died on Jan. 29 in New Rochelle, New York. A Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated on Feb. 4. Br. Patrick took the names of his two brothers — Patrick and Nicholas – for his religious name.
Dympna Judge Jessich, 88, twin sister of the late Mychal Judge, OFM, the fire chaplain who perished in the terror attacks in New York on Sept. 11, 2001, died on Feb. 5 in Austin, Texas, where she had lived for seven years. A memorial service is being planned for a later date with burial in Berlin, Maryland, next to her husband, Frank Jessich.
Editor’s note: Contact information for survivors of the deceased, for sending condolences, can be obtained by calling the Provincial Office at 646-473-0265.
- “Raymond Dee, Former Chair of SBU Trustees, Passes at 78” – Jan. 28, 2021, Olean Times Herald
- “Friars Extend Sympathy to Families of Deceased” – Oct. 19, 2020, HNP Today
- “Killed on 9/11, Fire Chaplain Becomes Larger Than Life” – Sept. 27, 2002, The New York Times
- “The Message of Mychal Judge’s Last Homily” – Sept. 11, 2020, HNP Today
- “Congressional Medal Proposed for Mychal Judge” – Sept. 15, 2010, HNP Today