In 1 Samuel 3:9, young Samuel is instructed to heed the Lord’s call by answering, “Speak, Lord, for your servant is listening.”
Holy Name Province, as it does at the beginning of each new year, acknowledges the Order’s 2019 jubilarians – friars who, like Samuel, listened and discerned when the Lord was calling them to religious vocation. These servants have spent a lifetime of listening and responding – translating into decades of service in pastoral, missionary, social justice, educational and other Franciscan ministries.
As the calendar turns to 2019, this is also a time when the Province remembers friars who died during the course of the previous year – mourning their earthly loss while acknowledging all of the times they responded yes to the Lord’s call throughout their ministries.
This year, 15 friars will celebrate momentous anniversaries of profession and ordination – including one who is marking 75 years of ordained life. The names of the 2019 jubilarians are listed below.
|25 Years as Friars
Todd Carpenter, OFM
Timothy Miskowski, OFM
James Sabak, OFM
Brian Smail, OFM
|50 Years as Friars
Kevin Cronin, OFM
John Hogan, OFM
John Jaskowiak, OFM
Vincent Laviano, OFM
|60 Years as Friars
David Bossman, OFM
Louis McCormick, OFM
|50 Years Ordained
Brice Leavins, OFM
Louis Canino, OFM
|60 Years Ordained
Thomas Jones, OFM
Raymond Mann, OFM
|75 Years Ordained
Emeric Szlezak, OFM
In June, a special Mass at St. Francis of Assisi Church on 31st Street in New York City will be celebrated in honor of the friars who are marking 25 and 50 years since their first profession of vows. Other anniversary celebrations will be arranged by individual classes.
At the start of this new year, the Province remembers the seven friars who died in 2018. They are:
- Gary Maciag, OFM, who died on Feb. 25 in New York City.
- Clement Comesky, OFM, who died on Feb. 25 in Ringwood, N.J.
- Leonard Lencewicz, OFM, who died on May 28 in Ringwood.
- William Scully, OFM, who died on July 15 in Pompton Plains N.J.
- Jeremiah McGinley, OFM, who died on Aug. 30 in Ringwood.
- Bede Fitzpatrick, OFM, who died on Sept. 12 in Ringwood.
- Bonaventure Hayes, OFM, who died on Sept. 26 in Ringwood.
We mourn the loss of these brothers and will always remember them for their friendship, love, gentleness and kindness.
The Provincial administration wishes its members and its partners-in-ministry a new year filled with peace and all good things.
— Stephen Mangione is a longtime writer and public relations executive based in Westchester County, N.Y.
- “Jubilarians Honored at Mass in New York City” – June 26, 2018, HNP Today
- “Province Announces 2018 Jubilarians, Remembers Deceased” – Jan. 10, 2018, HNP Today
- “Province Congratulates Friars Marking Anniversaries in 2017” – Jan. 4, 2017, HNP Today
- “Popular Catholic Priest the Rev. William Scully Remembered During Service” – July 19, 2018, NorthJersey.com
- “Emeric Szlezak Marks 75 Years as a Friar” – April 16, 2014, HNP Today