ROME — Pope Benedict XVI has appointed Irineu Gassen, OFM, of St. Francis of Assisi Province in Brazil, as Bishop of Varcaria. He will lead its 187,600 Catholics, the country’s predominant religious group.
The bishop was born in 1942 and was solemnly professed by the Order of Friars Minor in 1966, according to the July 1 issue of Fraternitas, the publication of the Order. He was appointed May 28.
This issue also includes other news. Some of the headlines:
• Agenda of the General Minister
• Croatian Scotism in the XX Century
• 50 Years of the Custody of Singapore
• Brazil — SEFRAS: Minors among the Poor
• Meeting of the Friar Teachers and Researchers of Our Lady of Guadalupe Conference in Mexico
• 100 Years of the Review AFH
• The St. Bonaventure International Study Centre