SILVER SPRING, Md. — In response to a request from the Provincial Council, the Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation Office and Directorate have put together and distributed a number of election-oriented resources for friars and their houses and ministries. The final set of resources, a pair of print-ready reflections titled “Franciscans are not ‘party animals’” (Parts I and 2), was included in the most recent JPIC resource mailing.
Also promoted in the Sept. 28 mailing:
• A resource list from CLINIC on the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals initiative, along with a brief article from JFI on the same subject directed to clergy and parish staff
• Sample care for creation resources from St. Camillus Parish in Silver Spring, MD (bulletin-ready materials, including Climate Change Statement excerpts). St. Camillus promotes these resources in its weekly bulletin as a column titled “The Green Corner”
• Spirit of Assisi 2012 Prayers of the Faithful/Daily Prayers to promote the idea of different religions working together for peace, and the desire for peace and civility around the election process
• EAD 2013 with its focus on food security, and suggested October 2012 Food Day resources from Church World Services and The Food Day Website
• The HNP JPIC Plan of Action 2012-2013 (Reviewed by the Provincial Council Sept. 13, 2012)
• Information about the 10th Annual JPIC Local Contacts Retreat (June 21-23, 2013)
The JPIC Office and Directorate hope that friars and their partners-in-ministry find this information useful. Please contact the Office at firstname.lastname@example.org or 301-680-2200 if we can be of help to you or your ministry with JPIC efforts.
Most of these resources are posted on one of two recently updated Justice and Peace pages of the HNP website: the Issue-related Resources page, and the Franciscan Positions page. In addition, two new JPIC in Action pages have been added to the site to catalog Holy Name Province: JPIC Education Through the Arts, and Gay, Lesbian, Bisexual and Transgendered (GLBT) Ministry Efforts. The JPIC Office staff recommends visiting the HNP.org site often for the latest Province news and resources.
The most recent issue of Contact, a bi-monthly publication from the Order’s JPIC Office in Rome, is also available online. The JPIC Publications page includes both English and Spanish translations.
— Fran Eskin-Royer is a staff member of the Province’s JPIC Office.