Urge Congress to Support Iran Nuclear Deal
“Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God.”
Gospel of Matthew 5:9
In 2015, 70 years after the bombings of Hiroshima and Nagasaki, the world community is making important moves toward nuclear abolition.
The recent nuclear deal between world powers and Iran is one of the greatest diplomatic achievements of the nuclear age. This comprehensive, verifiable, long-term agreement alleviates international concern about Iran’s nuclear program, prevents war and stops the spread of nuclear weapons.
Furthermore, this agreement has the potential to reshape and stabilize much of the Middle East. By ending the international isolation of Iran, the door is open for Iran to play a more active role in regional politics. It increases the possibility of a diplomatic solution to the war in Syria and curtailing the power of ISIS.
It is imperative that the U.S. Congress does not sabotage this historic agreement. If opponents of the Iran nuclear deal scuttle it, they will likely put our nation on the path to a war of choice with Iran. This will have disastrous consequences for the region, for us, and the rest of the world. The stakes are enormous. In the face of it, we cannot remain on the sidelines and allow those who enflame the fear of Iran, disparage diplomacy and push us into war to prevail. The time to speak is now.
Please take action:
Pick up a phone and send a message to your senators.
Call the Capitol Switchboard and ask to be transferred to your Senator’s office
(Hello, my name is…… from….. I’m calling to urge Senator…:)
- To vote in favor of the Iran nuclear deal. It will make the world a safer place. It is also the best way to prevent a nuclear-armed Iran and prevent war.
- Diplomacy is the best option for securing a long-term solution. I urge you to support – not jeopardize – the nuclear deal with Iran.
- “Urge Congress to Support Iran Nuclear Deal” — Maryknoll Office for Global Concerns
- “Iran: Capitol Hill Staff Resources” — Friends Committee on National Legislation
- “Dialogue Among Civilizations: Obama’s Nuclear Deal With Iran” — July 27, 2015, U.S. Catholic
- “Dozens of Retired Generals, Admirals Back Iran Nuclear Deal” — Aug. 11, 2015, Washington Post