Spirit of Assisi
Spirit of Assisi
In 2011, all Franciscans around the world were invited by the Ministers General of the Conference of the Franciscan Family to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of the World Day of Prayer for Peace (the “Spirit of Assisi”) held in Assisi on Oct. 27, 1986. In their letter, the Ministers General described how Spirit of Assisi celebrations are the perfect opportunity to promote peace at all levels of society.
Resources to Help Plan Celebrations
Houses and ministries were encouraged to host a day of prayer and fasting on Oct. 27, 2011, and/or mark the 25th anniversary during the Oct. 30 weekend liturgies. The following resources were offered to assist these efforts:
- A prayer service template for an ecumenical gathering
- A prayer service template for an interfaith gathering
- Suggestions for the celebration of the Spirit of Assisi during Catholic Eucharist
- Intercession Prayers suitable for use during daily morning and evening prayer
- Prayer and reflection resources Saint Barbara OFM Province
- Additional resources from the Order’s JPIC Office in Rome
Although the momentous 25th anniversary has passed, ministries are encouraged to remember and mark the important interreligious effort each year at liturgies on or around Oct. 27. Additional resource(s) may be found here: Spirit of Assisi 2012 Prayers
Resources and Activities from HNP Ministries
Several ministries held events on and around Oct. 27, 2011.
- Provincial celebration of the Spirit of Assisi:
Oct. 27, hosted by Holy Name of Jesus Parish,
West 96th Street, New York, NY
A photo of the historic 1986 gathering of religious leaders and a description of its impact can be found on this backgrounder.
For more on the Spirit of Assisi, please contact the Province’s Office for Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation.