LAS CRUCES, N.M. — Save the date: the 2013 interprovincial retreat will be held from Jan. 7 to 11 at Holy Cross Retreat Center. The retreat — jointly sponsored by the provinces of The Assumption, Our Lady of Guadalupe, Sacred Heart and St. John the Baptist — is open to friars from all OFM provinces. Registration is due Dec. 21, 2012.
This year’s retreat director, Joseph Rozansky, OFM, is director of the Order of Friars Minor’s Office for Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation. He plans to cover the basics of JPIC, including where the idea originates, its importance, and its role in Franciscan life.
Joseph will address several basic themes, including:
• An integral approach to spirituality that includes all aspects of life and relationships with God,
others, and the world
• The Kingdom of God as foundational to Christian life and the practice of JPIC
• The option of Francis to be concrete in his approach to God and the world
• Francis and peace, and Francis and creation
• The Spirit of Assisi
• The Order’s JPIC program
Joe’s ministry has included missionary work in Brazil, as well as service as the past director of Holy Name Province’s postulant program and past director of HNP’s post-novitiate program. Besides bachelor degrees in philosophy and theology, he earned a master’s degree in economics from the American University in Washington, D.C.
“The interprovincial retreat has enjoyed tremendous success over the years,” said Br. Bruce Michalek, OFM, chair of the interprovincial retreat committee and development director of Our Lady of Guadalupe Province. “We generally have between 45 to 60 participants representing every OFM province in the United States and Canada.”
Previous retreat directors include:
• Sr. Ramona Perry, OSF, member of the congregational leadership team for the Sisters
of St. Francis of Rochester, Minn., who spoke about St. Clare in 2012
• Fr. Michael Perry, OFM, General Vicar of the Order, who reflected on the future of the
Order in 2011
• Br. William Short, OFM, past president of the Franciscan School of Theology in Berkeley, Calif.,
who spoke in 2010 on where the Order is leading friars as a result of the General Chapter of 2009
• Michael Blastic, OFM, professor at Siena College, who presented his reflections on the
Rule of 1223 for the 21st century at the 2009 retreat
A flyer distributed by Br. Bruce includes information on hotels and airports near Holy Cross Retreat Center. Information about the 2013 retreat is available by phone at (505) 980-9409.
— Maria Hayes is communications coordinator for Holy Name Province.