NEW YORK — The friars of Immaculate Conception Province celebrated their last Mass this month at Most Precious Blood Church on Mulberry Street in Lower Manhattan.
After more than 120 years of ministry to the people of Little Italy, the provincial administration announced the decision to return the parish to the care of the Archdiocese of New York. Fr. Fabian Gifone, OFM, concluded his 21 years of service there on March 15, according to an article in the March 7 issue of IC News.
The e-publication also provided a JPIC update with “important dates” such as International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination on March 21 and World Water Day on March 22.
Other information featured in recent issues of IC News includes:
- The Feb. 13-14 meeting of U.S. provincial ministers
- The expansion of a school in Guatemala
- A weeklong postulant workshop
- Discussions of the interprovincial Report
- The presiding and speaking by Cardinal Oscar Andrews Rodriguez Maradiaga, SDB, of Honduras at the Extraordinary Chapter of the IC Province in June
Information about the province, which celebrated the 100th anniversary in 2010, can be found on the website, where copies of the print newsletter are also available.
— Compiled by Jocelyn Thomas