The following is a monthly compilation of news from the website and Facebook page of the English-speaking Conference of the Order of Friars Minor, comprising provinces from Canada, England, Ireland, Lithuania, Malta and the United States.
ROME — General Minister Fr. Michael Perry, OFM, and the General Definitorium have appointed Fr. Alvin Te, OFM, of Immaculate Conception Province, to serve as a member of the communications team of the General Curia.
Fr. Alvin assisted Fr. Thomas Washburn, OFM, also of IC Province, with providing the English-speaking Conference with daily updates from this year’s General Chapter. He has also worked in his province’s communications office.
Fr. Alvin, 41, is originally from Davao City, the Philippines. After moving to Canada, he joined the friars in 2000, marking his first profession in 2004. He studied at the Antonianum in Rome and was ordained in 2010.
Fr. Alvin had served at IC Province’s retreat center and at parishes in Toronto and was working as the vocation director when he received his new assignment. He will move to the General Curia in Rome in September.
In other news from the English-speaking Conference, the General Minister and several friars from St. Barbara Province have been featured in a video series about aspects of Blessed Junipero Serra, OFM, who will be canonized by Pope Francis next month. The ceremony will take place on Sept. 23 at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington.
“I think we need to make sure this canonization is not simply a chance to validate maybe some bad things that happened, but to challenge us always to enter into a process of reform, of conversion, and of authentic dialogue with cultures, with peoples everywhere,” said Fr. Michael in an Aug. 3 article and video. He added that the canonization will be a blessing if Catholics “take a step back, take a deep breath and recognize that in history, at times, mistakes have been made. We’re human beings.”
Other news from the English-speaking Conference includes:
- Reflections on Our Lady of Guadalupe Province’s recent All Province Assembly, including an assessment by the Franciscan Interprovincial Team
- Appointment of Fr. John Puodziunas, OFM, president of the ESC since 2013, as the economo for the Order
- The World Day of Prayer for the Care of Creation announced by Pope Francis
— Maria Hayes is communications coordinator for Holy Name Province.
- “American Michael Perry Re-elected General Minister” — May 27, 2015, HNP Today
- “ESC Communicators Focus on Sharing Franciscan Message” — Aug 5, 2015, HNP Today
- “Pope to Canonize Junipero Serra During Fall Visit to U.S.” — Jan. 20, 2015, HNP Today
- “Tweeting the Good News — Responsibly” — Nov. 6, 2013, HNP Today