ROME — The Year of Faith and new evangelization highlight the Order’s November issue of Fraternitas. On Oct. 11, the Year of Faith began on the 50th anniversary of the Second Vatican Council.
“It was not a random choice, for this Conciliar anniversary is an opportunity to return to the Second Vatican Council which marked, in a decisive way, the life of the Church of the 20th century,” read the newsletter. “It is also an opportunity to test the impact of its teachings during these decades.”
The Order’s newsletter also features the Ordinary General Assembly of the Synod of Bishops, which took place from Oct. 7 to 28. The theme of the synod, “The New Evangelization for the Spreading of the Christian Faith,” related closely to the Year of Faith. All materials concerning the synod are available at http://www.vatican.va/. Thirteen Franciscan friars participated in the synod.
The current issue of the monthly newsletter also reports on:
• The General Minister’s schedule, which includes a General Council meeting, a commemoration of the feast of Blessed John Duns Scotus, a meeting with the General Visitors, and visits to the provinces of the Assumption (Argentina), St. Francis (Brazil) and Holy Cross (Brazil)
• Recently appointed General Visitors, including Fr. Melvin Jurisich, OFM, of St. Barbara Province, who was assigned to Holy Name Province
• The departure of three Franciscan friars to the South Sudan, where they will found a new mission
• The celebration of the 800th anniversary of St. Francis’s arrival in Croatia
• The awarding of the “Inca Atahualpa honor” to Fr. Isaac Shahuano Murieta, OFM, of St. Francis Solano Province in Peru, for his work in promoting social development of populations of several Peruvian cities
• A booklet developed by the General Council “to undertake a process of reflection and discernment in fraternity and entities”
— Compiled by Maria Hayes