ROME — The January issue of Fraternitas has reported that the formation of a new Franciscan fraternity in the Amazon region will launch on Feb. 1. Six friars will gather in Requena, Peru, to familiarize themselves with the territory and with each other before deciding on a permanent residence in the region. The General Chapter of 2009 mandated the new presence in the Amazon.
The monthly publication of the Order of Friars Minor also announced the commencement of the beatification process of seven Hungarian martyrs — namely Bernat Karolyi and his companions, whose martyrdoms occurred between 1944 and 1954.
Also listed are the appointments of new Provincial Ministers, including three from the English-speaking Conference — Fr. Michael Copps, OFM, of the Province of the Immaculate Conception in Great Britain, Fr. Hugh McKenna, OFM, of the Province of Ireland, and Fr. William Spencer, OFM, of Sacred Heart Province.
The current newsletter also reports on:
• January plans of General Minister Fr. Jose Rodriguez Carballo, OFM
• Celebrations of the 25th anniversary of the Spirit of Assisi in Brazil, Indonesia, Singapore and Portugal
• Meeting of the South Slavic Conference in Medjugorje
• Japanese friars’ stage adaptation of the story of Saints Francis and Clare
• The ongoing project of cataloging old volumes in the Franciscan Library in Jerusalem
Information about the Order is provided in three languages on its website.
— Compiled by Vicky Wolak