ROME — The Spirit of Assisi, the 25th anniversary of the 1986 gathering of world leaders of 43 religions in Assisi, is highlighted in the August/September issue of Fraternitas, the monthly publication of the Order of Friars Minor.
The cover story reported on Pope Benedict XVI’s planned pilgrimage to Assisi this October. In a public announcement on Jan. 1, 2011, the pope said that the journey “will aim … to solemnly renew the commitment of believers of every religion to live their own religious faith as a service to the cause of peace.” Another story described the upcoming events of the Interreligious Contact of the Franciscan Family in Paris to celebrate the Spirit of Assisi.
The current newsletter also announces two upcoming Continental Conferences for Formators in Latin America and Africa, and described preparations for the XIII International Council for Formation and Studies.
Also included in this month’s Fraternitas were:
· Excerpt from the General Minister’s letter for the feast of St. Clare
· Reviews of three books on Franciscan doctrine
· Plans for the 23rd International Marian Mariologic Congress to be held in 2012 at Antonianum University in Rome
· Announcement of the acquisition of the Province of Holy Mary of Graces in Sardinia by the Seraphic Province
of St. Francis of Assisi in Umbria
· Names of three new provincial ministers
Information about the Order is provided in three languages on its website.
— Compiled by Vicky Wolak