RINGWOOD, N.J. — Albert Aldrich, OFM, 85, a Franciscan friar for 65 years, died Jan. 24 at Holy Name Friary.
A wake was offered there on Jan. 28, with a Mass of Christian Burial celebrated on Jan. 29. Provincial Vicar Lawrence Hayes, OFM, served as principal celebrant. Burial followed at God’s Acre Cemetery in Ringwood.
Albert was born on April 23, 1929 in Lackawanna, N.Y., to Robert and Margaret Aldrich, and was baptized Francis. After attending Mt. Carmel High School, he joined the friars and became a tertiary brother in 1947, receiving the name Albert, at St. Bonaventure Friary, Paterson, N.J.
He was received into the Order of Friars Minor there on Jan. 22, 1949 and professed first vows one year later. From 1950 to 1953, he served as a cook at several of the Province’s friaries. Albert professed solemn vows on Jan. 23, 1953 at Christ the King Seminary in Allegany, N.Y.
His first assignment was to St. Joseph’s Seraphic Seminary in Callicoon, N.Y., where he worked as a cook from 1954 to 1958. Afterward, he moved to New York City, where he would spend the next 35 years. Br. Aldrich served in various ways at St. Stephen of Hungary Friary on 82nd Street, working as a porter, cook and procurator, assisting at the parish, and serving as associate director of the St. Jude apostolate.
In 1972, he moved downtown to work at St. Francis of Assisi Church on West 31st Street, where he was a porter and procurator. He returned to St. Stephen Friary 13 years later in 1985, serving as vicar from May to October. In October, he returned to St. Francis Church, where he coordinated the historic St. Francis Breadline and was director of the Mass Office, overseeing some of the administrative tasks at the parish.
In 1993, Br. Aldrich left New York City and moved to Boston, where he was vicar of St. Anthony’s Residence, one of the province’s retirement friaries. He was appointed guardian there in 1996 and served until he was reassigned in 2002 to St. Francis Chapel and Ministry Center in Providence, R.I. He retired to St. Anthony Residence in 2006 and when the residence closed in 2012, he moved to the province’s retirement friary in St. Petersburg, Fla. He remained there for only a few months before transferring to Holy Name Friary in Ringwood.
Br. Aldrich is survived by his brother, Edward, as well as many nieces and nephews.
Memorial donations may be sent to Franciscan Friars-Holy Name Province, 144 West 32nd St., New York NY 10001.
— Compiled by Maria Hayes