ROME – On behalf of the friars in South Sudan, the Order has asked Franciscans around the world to pray for peace, especially in that central African country.
South Sudan has been torn apart by civil war since 2013. The friars living there attest that “the war is continuous and there is never a time in which we do not hear the noise of weapons in the night and even during the day. The situation remains critical, which means even more deaths, migration, desolation and hunger across the country.”
The Curia, on its website, asks that friars around the world “join our voices to those of our brothers and sisters living in this extremely complex and desperate situation in South Sudan and in so many places of conflict in the world where our brothers and so many witnesses of faith continue giving their lives to make Christ present.”
Also included on the Order’s website is a summary of a recent meeting of the special commission for dialogue with Islam, organized by Russel Murray, OFM, general animator for evangelization and president of the service for dialogue, and led by Michael Calabria, OFM, the Order’s special assistant for dialogue with Islam.
The Nov. 21 to 25 meeting allowed the commission to establish its agenda of activities and projects for the next six years, chief among which will be the preparation of diverse, multilingual materials to assist the friars and their partners-in-ministry in commemorating the 800th anniversary of the meeting between St. Francis and Sultan Malik al-Kamil in 1209.
Other recent news from the Order includes:
- A special edition of Fraternitas on the life of former General Minister Fr. John Vaughn, OFM, who died on Oct. 10
- A Christmas message from the Order’s Office of Justice, Peace and Integrity of Creation
- The third young friars gathering in Asia, held Oct. 18 to 27 in the Province of St. Francis in Vietnam. The event responds to the Order’s call for an intensification of ongoing formation for SPUTY friars (those professed less than 10 years) and interprovincial collaboration, especially in the areas of justice and peace, mission and evangelization.
- A celebration of the 10th anniversary of the Franciscan presence in Myanmar
- A summary of an international conference on Bl. John Duns Scotus, titled “A New Metaphysics for a New Theology: John Duns Scotus on the 750th Anniversary of His Birth.” The conference was held from Nov. 7 to 8 at the Pontifical University Antonianum in Rome.
— Maria Hayes is communications coordinator for Holy Name Province.
- “ESC Friars Prepare to Serve as Visitors” – Nov. 30, 2016, HNP Today
- “Order Releases ‘Poor and Lesser Ones’ Resource” – Nov. 2, 2016, HNP Today
- “Update From Interprovincial Contemplative Prayer Community in Missouri” – Nov. 16, 2016, HNP Today
- “Franciscans Send Message of Solidarity to Italy Earthquake Victims” – Sept. 6, 2016, HNP Today
- “Antonianum Partners with Research University to Expand Franciscan Scholarship” — May 4, 2016 HNP Today