Nearly 110 friars have gathered at the first three of the Province’s fall fraternal gatherings to prepare for Chapter 2011 and to hear updates about the Province.
As John Ullrich, OFM, a member of the HNP Chapter Planning Committee, who facilitated the Oct. 6 gathering in New York, said, the Province’s fall regional days comprise three main components:
· Presentation about vocational discernment by Fr. Michael Himes, a professor of theology at Boston College
· Discussion of proposals being considered for discussion at the next HNP triennial Provincial Chapter
· Address by Provincial Minister John O’Connor, OFM, about various Provincial topics
Next week, guardians from most of the Province’s more than 30 friaries will gather in Easton, Pa., for the annual Guardians meeting. The Oct. 19 to 21 meeting will consist of presentations and conversations focusing on the various areas of the HNP Strategic Plan in preparation for Chapter 2011, including fraternity, collaboration, mission, finances, friar skills and development, vocations and Franciscan identity, according to Provincial Secretary Michael Harlan, OFM. The meeting will also provide opportunity for guardians to discuss issues and concerns, he said.
Details about other Provincial events can be found on the HNP website. Upcoming events include:
· Leadership Development Roundtable: Nov. 9 in New York City
· Crossroads 2011 Chapter: Jan. 3 to 7 in Maryland
· Celebration of Martin Luther King Jr. Day: Jan. 16 in Providence, R.I.
The next fraternal gathering is Oct. 23 at Holy Name College, Silver Spring, Md.