For immediate release
Contact: Jocelyn Thomas
RINGWOOD, N.J. — Jan. 23, 2019 – Fr. Myron McCormick, OFM, 98, a professed Franciscan friar for 71 years and a priest for 66, died on Jan. 21 at Holy Name Friary.
A wake service is planned for 4 p.m. on Jan. 24 at Holy Name Friary at 2 Morris Rd. in Ringwood. A Mass of the Resurrection will be celebrated at 10 a.m. on Jan. 25 at St. Anthony Church, 65 Bartholdi Ave., Butler, N.J. Provincial Minister Fr. Kevin Mullen, OFM, will preside.
On Jan. 26, funeral services will take place in Boston, where Fr. McCormick lived for many years. A viewing will be held from 8:30 to 9:15 a.m. at St. Anthony Shrine, 100 Arch St., where a Mass of Christian Burial will be celebrated by Fr. Frank Sevola, OFM, guardian, at 9:30 a.m. He will be buried at St. Joseph Cemetery in West Roxbury, Mass.
Fr. McCormick was born on June 26, 1920, in Philadelphia to John and Mary (nee O’Neil) and baptized John Joseph. He attended West Catholic School for Boys in Philadelphia and the University of Pennsylvania’s Wharton School of Finance before going to St. Joseph Seraphic Seminary in Callicoon, N.Y. He was received into the Order of Friars Minor on Aug. 12, 1946 in Paterson, N.J., where he professed his first vows as a Franciscan one year later.
He made his solemn profession on Sept. 17, 1950, at the Franciscan Monastery of the Holy Land in Washington, D.C., and was ordained to the priesthood on June 28, 1952 in Washington. In 1954, Fr. McCormick earned a master’s degree in classical languages from St. Bonaventure University in Allegany, N.Y.
His first assignment was to Bishop Timon High School in Buffalo, N.Y., where he taught for six years before moving to Olean, N.Y., where he served as assistant principal and teacher at Bishop Walsh High School from 1959 to 1960. Fr. McCormick then returned to St. Joseph Seraphic Seminary for eight years, holding various positions including dean, registrar and vice rector. In 1968, he moved to Silver Spring, Md., to serve as registrar for the Washington Theological Coalition.
Two years later, Fr. McCormick was appointed director of pilgrimages at St. Anthony Shrine in Boston. He worked in this capacity for one year before serving briefly as assistant pastor of St. Francis Parish in Wanaque, N.J. After the Callicoon seminary closed in 1972, Fr. McCormick returned to the campus to oversee the buildings and grounds until the property was sold. He went back to St. Anthony Shrine in Boston, serving as an assistant for two years until he moved to St. Francis Chapel in the Prudential Center in Boston.
In 1981, Fr. McCormick left Boston for Croghan, N.Y, where he served as pastor of St. Stephen of Hungary Parish for one year. After expressing interest in ministering to the sick and retired friars, Fr. McCormick was assigned to St. Anthony Friary in St. Petersburg, Fla. He worked there for three years before he moved north to serve as pastor of St. Joseph’s Parish in Wilkes-Barre, Pa. In 1990, Fr. McCormick returned to St. Anthony Shrine in Boston, where he remained for 24 years until he retired in 2014 to the Province’s skilled nursing facility in Ringwood.
Memorial donations may be sent to Franciscan Friars – Holy Name Province, 144 West 32nd Street, New York, NY 10001-3202.
About Holy Name Province
Holy Name Province is the largest of seven entities in the United States belonging to the Order of Friars Minor. With ministries in 12 states along the East Coast, its nearly 300 Catholic priests and brothers serve in colleges, parishes, urban ministry centers and a wide variety of social justice ministries, as well as in overseas missions.
The Order, founded in 1209 by St. Francis of Assisi, commemorated its 800th anniversary in 2009. Today, St. Francis, whose feast day is Oct. 4, remains one of the most widely known saints, revered for his affection for nature and care for creation.
Interview and photo requests should be directed to Jocelyn Thomas, HNP director of communications, at 646-473-0265 ext. 321 or email@example.com.