Theodore Anthony (Stanislaus) Blackowski, 87 years of age, a professed Franciscan friar for 65 years and a priest for 60 years, died on June 8 at Holy Name Friary, Ringwood, N.J.
Theodore was born on May 14, 1919, in Paterson, N.J., to Frank and Katherine (Dziekanowska) Blachowski. He was baptized in St. Stephen’s Church in Paterson, N.J., on May 25, 1919. He attended St. George Parochial School in Paterson, Clifton High School, Clifton, N.J., and St. John’s High School in Paterson. From 1937 to 1939, he studied at St. Joseph Seminary, Callicoon, N.Y. Theodore received the degrees of Bachelor of Arts (1942) and Master of Arts (1946) from St. Bonaventure University.
Theodore was received into the Franciscan Order on August 12, 1939, receiving the name Stanislaus Kostka, and professed his simple vows on August 13, 1940, both in Paterson, N.J., beforeJerome Dawson. Brother Stanislaus professed his solemn vows on September 17, 1943 in Washington, D.C., beforeBertrand Campbell. He did his philosophical studies in Croghan, N.Y., and Butler, N.J., and his theological studies at Holy Name College in Washington, D.C. Archbishop (later Cardinal) Amleto G. Cicognani, the Apostolic Delegate to the United States, ordained Stanislaus a priest in the chapel of Mount St. Sepulchre, Washington, D.C., on June 17, 1945. He went back to his baptismal name in the late 1960s, when that permission was granted.
Theodore basically had four assignments: Siena College, Japan, St. Francis at 31st Street in New York City, and St. Petersburg, Fla., until going to the infirmary. From 1946 to 1952, he taught sociology at Siena College, Loudonville, N.Y., except for one year of studies at the School of Far Eastern Languages, University of California at Berkeley. He was assigned to missionary work in Japan in 1952, while continuing his studies of Japanese at Tokyo’s International Language School. He served as pastor of the Isesaki mission in 1954 until 1961, when he became the assistant pastor at Maebashi and Takasaki parishes. In 1964, he was assigned to the chaplaincy at the International Catholic Hospital in Tokyo, conducted by the Franciscan Missionaries of Mary, where he showed great compassion for the sick and dying.
Ted returned to the States in 1976 and was assigned as parochial vicar to St. Francis of Assisi Church on 31st Street, New York City, until 1981. He then retired to St. Anthony Friary in St. Petersburg, Fla., while he continued to assist at local parishes and nursing homes. As his health failed, he took up residence in 2004 in Ringwood.
Theodore’s Wake was held on Sunday, June 11, in the Cortona Chapel of Holy Name Friary, Ringwood. The Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated at 10:30 a.m. on June 12 in the same Cortona Chapel. Dominic Monti, Provincial Vicar, was the principal celebrant, and Campion Lally preached the homily. Interment followed at God’s Acre Cemetery, Ringwood.
May he rest in peace!