ROME — Five friars from English-speaking provinces — including Holy Name’s Daniel Dwyer, OFM — were in Rome earlier this month, preparing to serve as General Visitors to various provinces of the Order of Friars Minor.
During a canonical visitation, the visitor serves as a representative of General Minister Fr. Michael Perry, OFM, conducting an examination of the government and life of the province, as well as the life and the mission of the friars.
Dan, who is stationed at Siena College outside Albany, N.Y., will serve as visitor for the Province of Ireland. Other friars from ESC provinces who are serving as visitors this year include Fr. Gerry Evans, OFM, of the Province of Central America, who is serving as visitor to St. John the Baptist Province; Fr. Jim Bok, OFM, from St. John the Baptist Province, as visitor for Assumption BVM Province; Fr. Joe Condren, OFM, of the Province of Ireland, visitor for Sacred Heart Province; and Fr. Greg Friedman, OFM, of St. John the Baptist Province, who is serving as visitor in Pakistan.
Other news from the ESC includes:
- The death of Fr. Anselm Moons, OFM, founder of Franciscan Mission Service. Holy Name Province invited Fr. Anselm to travel to the United States in 1985 to train friars for overseas mission, which led to him establishing a similar program for lay missioners.
- The Academy of American Franciscan History’s conference on St. Junípero Serra, OFM, and Franciscan Missiology held Oct. 21 to 22 at the Franciscan Monastery of the Holy Land in Washington, D.C.
- Reflections on service and Thanksgiving by Jim McIntosh, OFM, of St. Francis Inn, Philadelphia; miracles in the Holy Land by Fr. Greg Friedman, OFM, of the Franciscan Monastery of the Holy Land; and Veterans Day, by Fr. Tom Washburn, OFM, of Immaculate Conception Province
Information about the English-speaking Conference can be found on its website and Facebook page. The websites of the OFM provinces in the United States, many of which offer newsletters, can be found on the Links page of the HNP website.
— Maria Hayes is communications coordinator for Holy Name Province.
- “Junípero Serra and Beyond: Evolving Franciscan Missiologies Offered by AAFH” — Nov. 16, 2016, HNP Today
- “Update From Interprovincial Contemplative Prayer Community in Missouri” — Nov. 16, 2016, HNP Today
- “Order Releases ‘Poor and Lesser Ones’ Resource” — Nov. 2, 2016, HNP Today
- “Melvin Jurisich Appointed visitor to Province” – Oct. 24, 2012, HNP Today