NEW YORK — Space is still available for last-minute registrants to attend Holy Name Province’s Franciscan Family Study Day on Saturday. This event, commemorating the Order’s 800th anniversary, is the first of several major events the Province is holding this spring and summer.
Provincial Minister John O’Connor, OFM, encourages friars to participate in the program on April 25, which offers talks and a Mass.
“We have an excellent group of presenters who will make this a worthwhile day,” said John, adding that, as of earlier this week, only six of the 90 registrants were friars.
The topics are listed on an informational flyer distributed to friars.
Next month, four HNP friars will be ordained to the priesthood. The Mass will be celebrated at 11 a.m. on May 16 at St. Francis of Assisi Church on West 31st Street.
Other upcoming Provincial events include:
• June 6 — Simple profession of vows of Jeffery Jordan, OFM, at St. Paul’s Church in Wilmington, Del.
• June 24 — Holy Name Province annual jubilee celebration at St. Francis of Assisi Church, New York.
• Aug. 22 — Solemn profession of vows at St. Francis of Assisi Church. Friars making their final vows are Lawrence Anderson, OFM, Fred Dilger, OFM, and Juan de la Cruz Turcios, OFM.
Several events have been scheduled by Province-related ministries and organizations:
• May 1 — Commencement at Washington Theological Union
• May 1 – 3 — Annual JPIC local contacts retreat in Ringwood, N.J.
• May 16 — Farewell reception in Maryland for Joan Christenson, who is retiring after 34 years as assistant registrar of the WTU. Those wanting to RSVP to this 3 to 7 p.m. open house or who would like to contribute written or photographic memories should contact Alyce Korba, executive assistant to the president, at 202-541-5228, by May 6.
• May 22-24 — Franciscan Symposium at the WTU