NEW YORK — At their monthly meeting last month, members of Holy Name’s Provincial Council reviewed plans for the annual guardians’ meeting and discussed other timely topics including the Province’s leadership development initiative, and the launching of the new Province directorates in light of the strategic plan. The Provincial Council gathered Oct. 23 and 24 in the Provincial Office on West 31st Street.
The annual guardians’ meeting is scheduled for Nov. 10 – 13 in St. Petersburg, Fla.
The council met with representatives from the consulting firm, Axiom, that is facilitating the leadership development program for the friars. The consultants reviewed the work of the Province’s leadership development committee to date, including the statement of leadership and leadership profiles for HNP and the agenda for the leadership discussion during the guardians’ meeting. The Council also reviewed the self-reflection process and profile analysis tool that will be completed by the guardians. These will give HNP leaders an opportunity to reflect on their strengths and areas for development.
On the second day of the meeting, the friars serving as chairs of the Province’s seven directorates (Evangelization, Finance, Formation and Studies, Fraternal Life, Justice, Peace and the Integrity of Creation, Ministerial Development, Sick and Retired) met with the Council and with Francis Gunn, OFM, the Province’s coordinator for strategic planning. According to Provincial Secretary Michael Harlan, OFM, the discussion focused on the following topics:
- the general understanding of directorates as “working bodies” that assist the provincial administration in fulfilling its responsibilities in designated areas.
- the need to review, clarify and update the mission and purpose of each directorate, many of which have committees with which they interact
- finalizing membership of friars and lay partners
- logistical guidelines for directorates and committees, including a recommendation to hold meetings, when possible, by teleconference to save on travel expenses
- a review of the various goals outlined in the HNP Vision and Strategic Plan 2008 – 2013 (approved at the 2008 Chapter) including clarifying the directorate or committee having responsibility for each goal.
Francis met separately with the chairs of the directorates for a discussion on the following areas:
- strategic plan implementation
- implementation timetables
- where to begin and
The Provincial Council also discussed, as they do each month, confidential matters involving personnel and financial issues.
The next Council meeting is Nov. 13 – 14 in St. Petersburg, after the guardians’ meeting.