RINGWOOD, N.J. — Henry Madden, OFM, 91, died May 25 at Holy Name Friary. He was a professed friar for 69 years and a priest for 64.
A Wake Service was held May 26 at the Cortona Chapel of Holy Name Friary, presided by guardian A. Francis Soucy, OFM.
The Mass of Christian Burial was celebrated May 27 at St. Anthony Church in Butler, N.J. Thomas Conway, OFM, was principal celebrant and Francis preached the homily. Interment followed at God’s Acre Cemetery in Ringwood.
Henry was born Feb. 24, 1920, in Brooklyn, N.Y., to Edward and Cecilia Madden. Baptized Edward, he attended St. Joseph Seraphic Seminary in Callicoon, N.Y., graduating in 1940.
In August, Edward entered the Order of Friars Minor at St. Bonaventure Church, Paterson, N.J., receiving the name Henry. He professed first vows in 1941, and final vows in 1944.
Henry was ordained a priest in 1946 at the Franciscan Monastery, Mount St. Sepulchre, in Washington, D.C.
Henry’s first assignment was as associate at St. Anthony Shrine in Boston from 1947 to 1953. He then served as parochial vicar at Holy Cross Church in Bronx, N.Y., from 1953 to 1955; pastor of St. Mary Church in Americus, Ga., from 1955 to 1961; parochial vicar at St. Anne in Fair Lawn, N.J., from 1961 to 1970; parochial vicar at St. Bonaventure Church in Allegany, N.Y., from 1970 to 1975; parochial vicar at St. Bonaventure Church in Paterson, N.J., from 1975 to 1983; parochial vicar at St. Francis of Assisi Church on West 31st Street in New York City, from 1983 to 1988, as well as assisting, from 1984 until 1988, at the Province’s Franciscan Family Pilgrimages and Tours office on West 31st Street.
From 1988 to 2005, Henry was associate at the Northway Mall St. Francis Chapel near Albany, N.Y., while residing at the St. Bernardine of Siena Friary in Loudonville, N.Y. He retired in August 2005 to St. Anthony Friary in Butler and transferred to Holy Name Friary in November of that year.
He is survived by his niece, Mrs. William McKenna of Charlotte, N.C., and nephew William Van Cuyk. Condolences may be sent to Mr. and Mrs. William Van Cuyk, 879 Park Avenue, Baltimore MD 21201.
Memorial contributions can be made to: The Franciscans — St. Anthony’s Guild, 4 Jersey Street, East Rutherford NJ 07073-1012.
— Compiled by Rebecca Doel and Theresa Bartha