ROME — Last month, Pope Francis appointed Fr. Carlos Alberto Breis Pereira, OFM, as coadjutor bishop of Juazeiro, Brazil. Fr. Carlos is currently serving as provincial minister of St. Anthony Province in Recife, Brazil.
The bishop-elect was born in San Francisco do Sul, Brazil, in 1965. He professed first vows in 1987 and was ordained a priest in 1994. Fr. Carlos holds a licentiate in theology from the Pontifical University Antonianum, has served as a parish priest, and has held numerous roles within the Franciscan Order, according to the Order’s current newsletter.
The March issue of Fraternitas reports that Minister General Fr. Michael Perry, OFM, and Fr. Greg Redoblado, OFM, General Councilor for Asia, Australia and Oceania, visited the friars of the Custody of St. Francis of Assisi in Papua New Guinea from Feb. 5 to 14. This was the first visit to the country by a General Minister since the visit of the late Fr. Giacomo Bini, OFM, in 2002.
The friars and Secular Franciscans greeted Fr. Michael and Fr. Greg with traditional indigenous music and dance. The custos, Fr. Gianni Gattei, OFM, led the welcome ceremony.
“The highlight of the visit was a two-day encounter of prayer, reflection and dialogue with all the friars of the custody in preparation for their Custodial Chapter being held Feb. 15 to 19,” according to a report on the Order’s website. “A total of 35 friars — including the novices — came for the said encounter.”
Also present were Fr. Boby Vadakkai, OFM, delegate general for the custody, and Fr. Gonsa Saur, OFM, custos of the Custody of the Herald of Peace, West Papua. The General Minister also met with Bishop Otto Separy of Aitape and Archbishop Michael Wallace Banach, who serves as Papal Nuncio to Papa New Guinea, as well as the Poor Clares and other members of the Franciscan family.
Other recent news from the Order includes:
- Collaboration among the Friars Minor, Conventuals and Capuchins at St. Bonaventure University-College in Zambia, Africa, where 42 friars are in formation
- Minutes of the General Council’s January meeting
- A list of new provincial minsters and general visitors
- The schedule of Fr. Michael Perry which includes a meeting on March 21 with the Franciscan general ministers
Additional news about the Order can be found on its Facebook page, Ordo Fratum Minorum, as well as on its website.
— Compiled by Maria Hayes
- “General Definitory Outlines Guidelines for Next Two Years” — Feb. 10, 2016, HNP Today
- “American Michael Perry Re-elected General Minister” — May 27, 2015, HNP Today