POMPTON PLAINS, N.J. — Aloysius Siracuse, OFM, 93, a professed Franciscan friar for 71 years and a priest for 66, died April 23 at Chilton Hospital.
A wake was held April 28 at Holy Name Friary, Ringwood, N.J. Provincial Vicar Dominic Monti, OFM, celebrated a Mass of Christian Burial April 29 at St. Anthony Church, Butler, N.J. Aloysius will be buried at St. Bonaventure Cemetery, Allegany, N.Y.
Born on August 30, 1920 to Cristenzio and Rosa Siracuse, Aloysius was baptized Anthony at St. Anthony of Padua Church in Fredonia, N.Y. His family moved to Buffalo, N.Y., where he graduated from Grover Cleveland High School in 1939.
He studied at St. Joseph’s Seraphic Seminary, Callicoon, N.Y., from 1939 to 1941 before he was received into the Order in 1941 at St. Bonaventure Friary, Paterson, N.J. Aloysius professed first vows there one year later. He studied philosophy at St. Stephen’s Friary in Croghan, N.Y., and St. Anthony Friary, Butler, receiving his bachelor’s from St. Bonaventure University in 1944. He then studied theology at Holy Name College in Washington, where he professed final vows in 1945. Aloysius was ordained in 1947 at the Franciscan Monastery in Washington.
His first years following his ordination were spent in parish work, as assistant pastor of St. Bonaventure Parish, Paterson, from 1948 to 1950, and St. Stephen of Hungary Parish in New York City from 1950 to 1952. Aloysius then joined the faculty of Bishop Timon High School in Buffalo, teaching from 1952 to 1955. During that time, he completed a master’s degree in English from St. Bonaventure University and studied linguistics at the University of Paris from 1955 to 1956.
Aloysius’s next assignment was to Siena College, Loudonville, N.Y., where he taught theology and French from 1956 to 1962. He then volunteered for the Province’s mission custody in the state of Goiás, Brazil, where he served for the next 45 years, first as assistant pastor of parishes in Petrópolis, Catalão, Porangatú, and Anápolis, and then as pastor in Pires do Rio, Anápolis, Brasília, and Goiânia. In later years, he returned as assistant to a number of parishes. Aloysius also served as spiritual assistant to the Secular Franciscan Order and the Secular Institute of the Missionaries of the Kingship of Christ in Brazil.
He returned to the United States in September 2007 to retire to St. Anthony Residence, Boston, and transferred to Holy Name Friary later that year.
He is survived by his sisters, Rosalie Siracuse and Josephine Campagna, and niece Louis Smith. Condolences may be sent to Rosalie Siracuse at 5095 Hillcrest Drive, Clarence NY 14031 and Josephine Campagna, 19 Red Oak Lane, Coatesville PA 19320. Memorial donations may be sent to Franciscan Friars-Holy Name Province, 144 West 32nd St., New York NY 10001.
— Compiled by Theresa Bartha and Maria Hayes