Randolph Gibbons, OFM
1927 – 1991
Fr. Randolph Gibbons, OFM, was born on Nov. 9, 1927 in New York City. He graduated from St. Joseph Seraphic Seminary, Callicoon, N.Y., and entered the novitiate at St. Bonaventure Friary, Paterson, N.J., in 1948, professing temporary vows one year later. He made his solemn profession in 1952 and was ordained in 1954.
After his ordination, Fr. Randolph was assigned to St. Anne’s Parish, Fair Lawn, N.J., where he began and ended his priestly ministry. During his first nine years there, he established a CCD program that became a model for the archdiocese. He then went to St. Joseph Parish, Winsted, Conn., and to Our Lady of the Angels Parish in Little Falls, N.J., where he served as pastor for seven years.
He also served at St. Francis Chapel, Albany, N.Y., Our Lady Queen of Peace Parish, West Milford, N.J., Our Lady’s Chapel, New Bedford, Mass., and Sacred Heart Parish, Rochelle Park, N.J. Fr. Randolph returned to St. Anne’s Parish, where he ministered with great compassion to the sick, hospital patients, and shut-ins. Until his final six months, while himself painfully ill, he continued to visit 50 to 60 homes a week.
He died on Dec. 11, 1991 in Valley Hospital, Ridgewood, N.J. Fr. Randolph was 64 years old, a professed friar for 42 years and a priest for 37 years.