Malachy Wall, OFM
1916 – 1987
Fr. Malachy Wall, OFM, was born in Paterson, N. J., on May 25, 1916. He attended St. Bonaventure College, Allegany, N.Y., and after two years entered the novitiate at St. Bonaventure Church in Paterson on Aug. 12, 1936. He professed temporary vows on Aug. 16, 1937, and made his profession of solemn vows Sept. 17, 1940. Fr. Malachy was ordained a priest on May 28, 1942.
He responded to a request of the Mexican Provinces for help, and became the master of clerics in El Paso, Texas. He also served in Las Cruces, N.M. Fr. Malachy returned east and was sent to St. Basil’s Byzantine Seminary in Stamford, Conn. He eventually became guardian of the House of Studies for the Byzantine friars in New Canaan, Conn. Fr. Malachy also served as the commissary provincial of the Byzantine Franciscan Commissariat for three years.
He returned to work within the Province as a member of the Mission Band. In 1956, Fr. Malachy went to St. Bonaventure University as director of development and secretary of the Alumni Association. Beginning in 1961, ill health slowed Fr. Malachy down, and he went to work at Fr. Francis of Assisi Church in New York City.
Fr. Malachy’s determination and sense of humor were inspirational, and he was among the most beloved friars of the Province. He died at Mount Alverno in Warwick, N.Y., on May 13, 1987. He was just short of 71 years old, a professed friar for 49 years and a priest for almost 45 years.