Leonard Perotti, OFM
1913 – 1987
Fr. Leonard Perotti, OFM, was born in Shamokin, Pa., on June 18, 1913. After four years at St. Joseph’s Seraphic Seminary in Callicoon, N.Y., he entered the Province’s novitiate at St. Bonaventure Friary in Paterson, N.J., Aug. 25, 1932. Fr. Leonard professed temporary vows Aug. 26, 1933, and made his profession of solemn vows Sept. 17, 1936. He was ordained a priest May 30, 1939.
He was assigned to St. Joseph’s Seminary, where he taught German, Greek and Latin, and cared for St. George’s Church in Jeffersonville, N.Y., for seven years. From 1946 to 1949, he served as spiritual director at the seminary and was then appointed novice master in Paterson, where he served for two terms.
In 1955, Fr. Leonard was appointed spiritual director at Christ the King Seminary in Allegany, N.Y. In 1961, he was chosen to be the superior of Via Po, the residence of the American friars studying in Rome. A year later he was appointed to be a confessor at the Lateran, and then guardian, a post he held for nine years.
In 1974, Fr. Leonard returned to the United States and was assigned to St. Francis of Assisi Church in New York City. In 1976, he became guardian of Our Lady’s Chapel in New Bedford, Mass., and in 1979, he was elected a councilor of the Province. In 1980, Fr. Leonard became the Provincial Vicar of Holy Name Province.
In 1982, he was appointed pastor of Holy Cross Parish in the Bronx, and labored there until his death on June 2, 1987. He was just short of 74 years old, a professed friar for 53 years and a priest for 48 years.