Juvenal Lalor, OFM
1911 – 1988
Fr. Juvenal Lalor, OFM, was born in Brooklyn, N.Y., on June 30, 1911. He studied at St. Joseph Seraphic Seminary in Callicoon, N.Y., and entered the Province’s novitiatein 1929 at St. Bonaventure Friary, Paterson, N.Y.
He professed first vows in 1930 and solemn vows in 1933. In 1936, Fr. Juvenal was ordained a priest.
Following his ordination, Fr. Juvenal taught at the minor seminary before being assigned to St. Bonaventure College in Allegany, N.Y., where he taught English at the college and philosophy at Christ the King Seminary.
From 1939 to 1943, Fr. Juvenal pursued his studies at the Institute of Medieval Studies at the University of Toronto and then at Laval University in Quebec. He received a doctorate degree in philosophy from Laval University in 1943.
Fr. Juvenal returned to St. Bonaventure as a professor and spiritual director, and became the 12th president of college in 1949. During his six-year term, the new seminary building was erected on campus, as well as Robinson and Falconio residence halls. In 1950, St. Bonaventure College became St. Bonaventure University.
Following his term as president, Fr. Juvenal rejoined the faculty of Christ the King Seminary. In 1958, he served as guardian and, in 1962, he was appointed director of the Franciscan Institute.
In 1964, Fr. Juvenal served as rector of Christ the King Seminary and was elected a Provincial councilor. In 1975, he became the director of the Provincial House of Prayer in Callicoon, N.Y. He continued to serve as the director when the House of Prayer was moved to Warwick, N.Y., and remained there until it was closed in 1987.
In 1988, declining health forced Fr. Juvenal to give up his retreat ministry, and he was transferred to the Province’s infirmary in Warwick.
Fr. Juvenal there died Sept. 17, 1988. He was 77 years old, a professed friar for 58 years and a priest for 52 years.