Jordan Brown, OFM
1906 – 1985
Fr. Jordan Brown, OFM, was born on Feb. 28, 1906 in Philadelphia. From 1920 to 1925, he attended St. Joseph Seraphic Seminary in Callicoon, N.Y., prior to entering the novitiate at St. Bonaventure Friary, Paterson, N.J. He professed temporary vows in 1926 and made his solemn profession in 1929. Fr. Jordan was ordained a priest three years later.
He was first assigned to St. Francis of Assisi Parish in New York City, where he ministered before spending five years at Holy Cross Parish in the Bronx, N.Y. Fr. Jordan served at ministries in Paterson, N.J., and Buffalo, N.Y., before entering the United States Army as a chaplain. He participated in the Naples-Foggio and Rome-Arno campaigns, and then in the French and Rhineland campaigns, winning the bronze star for his dedication to duty.
After World War II ended, he was appointed pastor of St. Bonaventure Parish in Allegany, N.Y. He also served at ministries in Paterson, Butler, N.J., the Bronx, and New York City. He went into semi-retirement in Paterson in 1965 and retired to St. Anthony Friary, St. Petersburg, Fla., in 1983.
Fr. Jordan was a quiet friar, somewhat reserved and unassuming, who enjoyed meeting and helping people. He loved the friars and the people of God.
He died on Oct. 9, 1985 at St. Anthony Friary. Fr. Jordan was 79 years old, a professed friar for 59 years and a priest for 53 years.