John V. Krieg, OFM
1912 – 2002
Br. John Krieg, OFM, was born on Dec. 22, 1912 in Sundwig, Germany, and baptized Joseph. He immigrated to Rochester, N.Y., the following year. After working as an accountant for several years, he was received into the novitiate at St. Bonaventure Friary, Paterson, N.J., in 1941. He professed temporary vows one year later and made his solemn profession in 1947.
He was stationed in Denver for several months before volunteering in 1943 to be a member of Holy Name Province’s original band of missionaries to Brazil. Upon returning to the U.S. in 1950, Br. John was stationed at St. Francis Friary. In 1953, he was assigned to set up auditing procedures for Christ the King Seminary in its function as a graduate school of St. Bonaventure University, Allegany, N.Y. Br. John spent a year in Brookline, Mass., where he organized an office in the friary for the Apostolate of the Way of the Cross.
In 1954, he was assigned as a lab technician for Umbrian Farms in Lafayette, N.J. After spending a few months in Paterson, Br. John served as a cook for 13 years at St. Joseph Friary, East Rutherford, N.J. He went to Siena College, Loudonville, N.Y., in 1969, where he served as procurator of the friary for 12 years. He retired to St. Anthony Friary, St. Petersburg, Fla., in 1981 and transferred to Holy Name Friary, Ringwood, N.J., in 1998.
He died there on Jan. 8, 2002. Br. John was 89 years old, a professed friar for 59 years.