John S. Ahern, OFM
1921 – 2005
Fr. John Ahearn, OFM, was born Dec. 19, 1921 in Salem, Mass. In 1941, he entered St. Joseph’s Seraphic Seminary, Callicoon, N.Y., and was received into the Order in 1944 at St. Bonaventure Friary, Paterson, N.J., receiving the name Sylvester. Fr. John professed simple vows one year later, made his solemn profession in 1948 and was ordained in 1950.
After ordination, he served as a lector and prefect at Christ the King Seminary in Allegany, N.Y. In 1952, he served as an instructor and as director of the print shop at St. Bonaventure University, Allegany, and from 1953 to 1956, he taught at the Callicoon seminary. Fr. John then served as an assistant pastor at Holy Name Parish in Garfield, N.J. He returned to print, serving St. Anthony’s Guild from 1959 to 1971 and Sunday Publications, Inc., in Fairfield, N.J., from 1971 to 1976.
Fr. John then served as director of the Society for the Propagation of the Faith for the Diocese of Paterson. He ministered as vicar of Sacred Heart Friary in East Rutherford, N.J., until 1985 and, from 1985 to 1990, as guardian of St. Anthony Friary, Butler, N.J. While in Butler, Fr. John served as associate director of Provincial communications from 1990 until 2003.
He died on April 7, 2005 at St. Anthony Friary. Fr. John was 83 years old, a professed friar for 59 years and a priest for 54 years.