John Marshall, OFM
1922 – 1990
Fr. John Marshall, OFM, was born in Greenville, Pa., on July 8, 1922. During World War II, he served on the submarine Fargo in the Sea of Japan. After the war, he studied for the priesthood in the Diocese of Erie, Pa., for three years and then decided to join the Franciscans.
He was received into the Province’s novitiate in 1949 at St. Bonaventure Friary in Paterson, N.J., and professed temporary vows the following year. Fr. John made his solemn profession of vows in 1953, and was ordained a priest in 1954.
Fr. John’s first assignment was to St. Bonaventure University, Allegany, N.Y., where he taught philosophy. He received his Master of Arts from the Franciscan Institute at St. Bonaventure in 1956 and then joined the faculty of Christ the King Seminary.
Fr. John authored four spiritual books and numerous articles for The Cord. In 1968, he asked for parish ministry and was assigned to St. Elizabeth Church in Wyckoff, N.J. He also served in Elmwood Park, N.J., Wilkes-Barre, Pa., and Allegany parishes.
He wrote the history of the Elmwood Park parish and built the friary in Allegany. Fr. John was a serious but kind parish priest who spent many hours visiting and consoling the sick.
He died Sept. 3, 1990, at St. Joseph Friary in Wilkes-Barre. Fr. John was 68 years old, a professed friar for 40 years and a priest for 36 years.