John Janco, OFM
1905 – 1963
Fr. John Janco, OFM, was born on March 9, 1905 in Philadelphia. He studied at St. Joseph Seraphic Seminary in Callicoon, N.Y., and entered the novitiate at St. Bonaventure Friary in Paterson, N.J., in 1926, professing simple vows one year later. He made his solemn profession in 1930 and was ordained in 1933. He was among the first students of Holy Name College, Washington, when it opened in 1930.
In 1934, Fr. John volunteered to serve in the Province’s mission in China. He spent two years in Shasi, but ill health forced his return to America. He was assigned to St. Francis of Assisi Parish in New York City until 1942, when he went to minister at St. Joseph Parish in Wilkes-Barre, Pa.
Fr. John became a chaplain in the United States Army in 1943 and served until 1947. After World War II, he ministered in the Bronx, N.Y., and Paterson. In 1949, he was appointed Provincial Commissary of the Byzantine-Slavonic Rite Franciscans at New Canaan, Conn. In 1951, he became a member of the Province’s Mission Band, residing at Siena College, Loudonville, N.Y.
He died on Nov. 7, 1963 at Siena College. Fr. John was 58 years old, a professed firar for 36 years, and a priest for 30 years.