John J. Burke, OFM
1935 – 2006
Bishop John Burke, OFM, was born on March 16, 1935 in Teaneck, N.J. He entered St. Joseph’s Seraphic Seminary, Callicoon, N.Y., in 1954 and was received into the Order later that year at the novitiate at St. Bonaventure Friary, Paterson, N.J., where he was given the name Cyprian. He professed simple vows one year later, made his solemn profession in 1958 and was ordained in 1961.
After his ordination, Bishop Burke did pastoral work in Boston and was assistant prefect and a teacher at the Callicoon seminary from 1962 to 1964, when he volunteered to go to Brazil as a missionary. He served as assistant pastor in Porangatu from 1965 to 1967, seminary rector in Anápolis from 1967 to 1970, pastor in Quirinopolis from 1961 to 1975, pastor of São Francisco at Anápolis and Vice Custos from 1976 to 1978, and Custos and superior of the mission at Anápolis from 1978 to 1984.
After a sabbatical in the United States, Bishop Burke was appointed novice master in Catalão. In 1995, he was consecrated as coadjutor bishop of Miracema do Tocantins.
He died on March 14, 2006 in Palmas, Brazil. Bishop Burke was 70 years old, a professed friar for 50 years, a priest for 45 years and a bishop for 11 years.