John Granahan, OFM
1911 – 1988
Fr. John Granahan, OFM, was born on Oct. 25, 1911, in Scranton, Pa. After graduating from high school, he attended St. Thomas College in Scranton for one year before entering the novitiate at St. Bonaventure Friary in Paterson, N.J., in 1930. He professed temporary vows one year later and solemn vows in 1934. He was ordained a priest in 1937.
After ordination, Fr. John was assigned to St. Francis Friary in New York City, where he served as master of the brothers and director of the Secular Franciscans. In 1943, he volunteered to be assigned to the newly opened mission in Brazil. He left New York City with the first group of missionaries and remained abroad for 44 years.
In Goiás, Fr. John served as pastor in Catalão from 1944 to 1950. He was also the Custos for three years, curate in Pires do Rio for two years, and then pastor and guardian in Sant’Ana, Anápolis, the Cathedral in Cristalandia and St. Francis of Assisi in Goiania. He returned to the United States in 1987.
Fr. John was a friar who spent hours in prayer before the Blessed Sacrament and lived a life of genuine simplicity. He was a simple and sincere preacher who dedicated his entire missionary life to the living of the gospel.
He died in the Provincial infirmary in Warwick, N.Y., on Oct. 6, 1988, three weeks short of his 77th birthday. Fr. John was a professed friar for 57 years and a priest for 51 years.